Monday, November 19, 2007

An Interesting Theory

I ran across an interesting blog article the other day. It was written by a guy from Texas named Richard Beck. He refers to himself as a professor and experimental psychologist. You can read the entire article Here

The article uses a bunch of big words like thanatocentric and ante-mortum salvific self-verification (I think words like this are lovingly referred to as psycho-babble) But once you get past the big words, his theory is really rather interesting. I usually don't pay much attention to this type of stuff. Mostly because I have such trouble understanding it. (it makes my poor little head hurt) But this one caught my attention because it addressed a question that has really been on my mind lately: Why do some good Christian people become so unreasonable, defensive, harsh and down right un-Christ like anytime their particular religious views or practices are questioned or challenged? Why do reasonable people become so unreasonable when religion is involved?

Richard says that this behavior is a defense mechanism. It stems from having a thanatocentric (death centered) faith.

"If my faith is thanatocentric then faith becomes fundamentally about where I stand at the moment of death. Am I with the saved or with the lost? How can I tell? Well, you can tell by drawing ecclesial lines in the sand and then check--self-verify--where you stand. And you keep checking, almost daily, because death can come at any moment. Faith becomes a kind of obsessive-compulsive salvation check: Am I in? Yes, I'm in. Am I in? Yes, I'm in. Am I in? Yes, I'm in. Doctrine becomes about existential self-soothing.

In my tradition, being saved was defined by being a member of the Churches of Christ. And one of the defining features of that church was non-instrumental music. For better or worse, that issue became a means of ante-mortum salvific self-verification. But what happens, as is currently being done in progressive Churches of Christ, if that line in the sand starts getting rubbed out? Blurred? Well, you start robbing people of a mechanism for existential self-soothing. You've taken away an existential security blanket. If you start rubbing out all those lines of demarcation how can you tell who is or who is not going to hell? More vitally, how can I tell if I'm going to hell? That's the real issue. Where do I currently stand? Saved or Lost?

Death is a terrifying prospect. This is exacerbated if one also believes there is a hell of never-ending torment. Thus, faith, belief and doctrine begin to cluster around defining the Saved versus the Lost. If the church is our lifeboat then we become very invested in making a clear demarcation between church and non-church. I need very clear lines in the sand so that I can self-verify, over and over, that I'm on the right "side."

So, according to Richard, this harsh unreasonable behavior does not stem from malice, hatred, anger, or feelings of superiority. These behaviors simply come from fear - terrifying self limiting fear.

If Richards assumptions are correct, and in at least some cases I suspect that they are, then how should I respond to someone who has just chewed me a new back side for dissagreeing with their particular religious views?
If I truly believe that my faith is "Grace Centered" (I don't know a fancy psycho word for that) and not thanatocentric or "Death Centered" then how should I respond?

Eph. 4:2
With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
Eph. 4:32
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

This of course is much easier said than done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Gary!!...this explains perfectly why the people at Main Street acted the way they did!..it makes me feel better knowing that they are REALLY not bad people...only OCD when it comes to their doctrine...!!
I enjoyed reading the reference post that you provided...I do not miss the contentiousness about the issue....I now attend a intrumental worship service and find myself very comfortable knowing that worship is from the heart, and that is all that matters!...I am still AMILLENNIAL, something from the COC that is still engrained within me!!!(comes from sitting through 2 hr sermons from Foy E. Wallace Jr. many years ago)..I enjoy your blogspot!! keep it up....Your cous...RJ

Anonymous said...

This is exactly how I feel. I will not judge them for beleiving and fearing God. I feel that if more people feared God then less people would be doing things that are not Christ like. I am lost as to what I feel about many things in the Church because to many people have tried to force their opinions on me,(Church of Christ, family, friends.) I just know that I love God and want to go to Heaven. The music issue seems to be the top issue which to me is not a issue. I do not have a issue with it but....do not want to cause trouble for others that do have an issue. I just want everyone to be happy. Do we please God or man? Our main goal is to please God not ourselves. Our life here on earth is not our own, it belongs to God. I myself do not understand this "feel good" issue. Is it about God or is it about us? In the past 3 years Church has been a roller coaster. I cannot or will not condem others for their beliefs but feel like I have been pounded that everyone is wrong. I do not care who is right and who is wrong. GOD is right. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could push the issues aside and just love another as we should? We are doing the same thing to the Church of Christ as what we say they are doing to us. How many times in the past three years have I heard I will never go to another COC. WHO IS RIGHT AND WHO IS WRONG??? GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell I am confused??

Have ya'll decided when you want to meet?


LUV YOU GUYS,

Anonymous said...

Oh, please remember Rob and Steph today for it is the anniversary of Reeses death.

Anonymous said...

I rarely say this about "psycho-babble", but this is interesting. It reminds of me of something a close friend told me when we was dealing with his parents over some issue in the church. I couldn't understand why the issue was that big of a deal to them. He explained something along these lines..."Their salvation is tied up in being right. In some ways they feel that they are saved on the basis of correct doctrine. So if you question the established doctrine, you are not just questioning their beliefs, but their salvation."