Monday, March 3, 2008

When does perseverance stop and futility begin?

If I pull up on my boot straps long enough, and hard enough, will I eventually rise?

Doesn't it make sense to evaluate my methods based solely on my success or my failure? Does my inability to achieve a desired result make my choice of methods futile, or does it just mean that I simply didn’t try hard enough or stick with it long enough?

I know that patience, perseverance and determination are all good Christian virtues. But, what if I am being patient and persevering in the wrong way? For example; when it comes to my lifelong battle with my ever growing waist line, I have yet to find a method that yields any favorable long term results. My wife tells me that it is because I simply lack the perseverance and determination that I need to succeed. I am convinced of course that I just have not found the correct method yet. I know that I could really be determined and demonstrate great perseverance with a plan that worked. The trouble is, no plan will work unless I am determined and persevere. I’m doomed!

Then again, perhaps the only reason that I can’t fly is because I am simply not flapping my arms fast enough. I will just have to try harder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gary,
Maybe it is not what we really want but what we think everyone wants for us???

Peg

Buttercups said...

AMEN PEGGY! I am still learning what I want/like/etc. There are some hard lessons to learn here. Take heart Gary, it's not just you!